Thursday, April 30, 2009
For this long overdue mix, I was going to do a Spring Fling theme. But, to put it as plainly as possible: this shit has got me down. A bunch of people got fired from my store, my hours are cut, and cigarettes have(conveniently) skyrocketed in price. I try not to let my feelings of futility kill my buzz. Life is still okay on the level: cats are still cute and BBQs with friends are still fun. I'm tired of feeling one step ahead though - and I don't even have children. To say times are tough would be a nauseating understatement - but one still made by the middle class, nonetheless.
the plasters fallin' of the wall.
my girlfriend cryin' in the shower
it's hot as a bitch.
i should've been rich.
but i'm just diggin' a chinese ditch.
i'm livin' on a chinese rock.
all my best things are in hock.
i'm livin' on a chinese rock.
everything is in the pawn shop.
By The Ramones
This mix is for all of my drunken, strung out, screaming neighbors. I want to blast it from the roof and yell for them all to quit kicking their dogs and yelling at their kids. I want everyone to put down their Perkesets and JC Pennys catalouges and pick up bricks and throw them. Or pick up a hobby. Or a book.
This mix is for all the people I worked with who got fired to "cut the fat," so that "the company can continue to thrive." The people were the company. Their kids and their families were the company. And we all just shook our heads, thankful to still have our stupid blue nametags on our shirts.
This mix is for both the amps I pawned and subsequently lost - leaving a huge gap in my few prized possessions.
This mix is for my mother who passed away a couple of years ago. I still attribute her death to the despair of poverty.
This is my reaction to my surroundings. This is my answer to another dead-end day. Shit is going to burn, and this is my soundtrack.
Click here for the mix.
Our Country's Death Songs
A mix by Jannell, Spring 2009
1. Gang Of Four - To Hell with Poverty (4:57)
2. The Smiths - Shoplifters Of The World Unite (2:57)
3. Flipper - Hard Cold World (7:54)
4. Violent Femmes - country death song (5:02)
5. Marilyn Manson - Working Class Hero (3:42)
6. Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach for My Revolver (3:38)
7. Carolina Tar Heels - Peg & Awl (2:59)
8. Guided by Voices - I Am Produced (1:06)
9. Elliott Smith - A Distorted Reality Is Now a Necessity to Be Free (4:32)
10. Fugazi - Merchandise (2:59)
11. Ramones - Chinese Rock (2:30)
12. Black Flag - Clocked In (1:31)
13. 20 Years of Dishord - 14 scream-search for employment (2:03)
14. Motörhead - Eat the Rich (4:35)
15. Bill Monroe - Mule Skinner Blues (2:43)
16. Modest Mouse - Bankrupt on Selling (2:54)
17. Neil Young - Don't Let It Bring You Down (2:57)
18. John C. Reilly - Walk Hard (2:47)
19. guided by voices - hold on hope (3:30)
Now playing: John Peel Festive Fifty All Time 1982 - 22. #29. Stiff Little Fingers - Johnny Was.mp3
***EDIT: Just updated the link to a filedropper link which is way easier and no pop-ups or crapola. So click the link with good faith, friends.